Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Week 1, Thing 2

Week 1, Thing 2: 7 1/2 Habits of Successful Life-long Learners

**There was no “Thing 1″ listed, so I assume it is just to read about and commit to the Web 2.0 program. Which I have done!**

Of the seven habits, #4 is the toughest for me: “Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner.” I didn’t graduate college until I was 34 (married young and had kids right away), so I’ve always felt “behind” when it comes to learning. Also, retention is difficult for me so I struggle with remembering what I’ve been taught. Ironically, it is because of this that I think the easiest “habit” for me would be #2: “Accept responsibility for your own learning.” It seems the older I get, the less I care what others think about me. I’m not afraid to ask for help, or admit I don’t know something.

3 comments:

Becca said...

Woohoo for older learning empowerment! Isn't the main thing to be alive? and engaged? I had one of those "I've got a second lease on life" experiences when I went back to school (library school) in my 40's, single mom with 2 kids ... and retention happens when what you're learning is applicable to what you're doing! I have found that some of the exercises I went through in this tutorial did not seem applicable when I initially did them, but at least it provided me the familiarity to later say, when the appropriate moment arose, "hey, I think this might be a project that could make use of blah-de-blah".... All of which is to say, welcome to Winter Fun 2.0 School Library Style!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the uplifting words! This is so neat to have someone to encourage me - I appreciate it!

Comet librarian 2 said...

Welcome to Winter Fun. It sounds like you are a great model of a life-long learner.