Friday, January 11, 2008

Week 3, Things 6&7

Well, I guess I've been having so much fun I've forgotten to label my posts! Sorry! So now I'm completing things 6&7.
As I posted earlier, I am having such fun with the Flickr toys. Made a cute movie poster, but didn't post it. I want to do another though, so stay tuned!
I had some trouble today because I tried to post my kitty poster on the right side of the page (as a page element, not as a post because I wanted it to be permanent like my Avatar) but the text was too small to read, and the picture was fuzzy. So then I thought, "Why does my blog template have so much unusable margin space? There's got to be a way to use more of the margins, so I can put in bigger pictures, or maybe even add a third column." That was almost the beginning of the end! I found a link to a "blog for dummies" site, and it showed me how to get into the html and fiddle with the margins. I learned just enough to get myself in trouble. I could make the body margins much wider, but could never get the right side (I know there's a tech term for that!) to be any wider. So I gave up before I did any permanent damage. Going into it, I naively thought that I could somehow just click and drag with the mouse to increase the margins! But I learned a lot along the way, and may still attempt a third column when I'm more confident. Thanks, "cheerleaders", for your encouraging posts!

5 comments:

Sheryl Grabow-Weiss said...

Hi Kelly,

I know what you mean about the large margins surrounding the blog. Are you blogging on your Mac? I'm not sure, but I don't think the margins are as large when viewing your blog on a PC. I find that everything is smaller on the Mac - even Word docs. Told you I don't like this machine.

Becca said...

I found that labeling my posts came in handy for my own personal use later, more than for the peer cheer crew who pretty much will respond to anything you post at any time, regardless of the week# and thing#. At least, as a peer cheerer myself, that's what I think.....

Sheryl Grabow-Weiss said...

Ok, Kelly, so I was wrong. Apparently, Google Blogger has large margins on the Mac or PC. Even so, I still prefer the PC.

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

To be honest, when I first created my Learning 2.0 blog, 2CoolTools, I didn't label by week and thing. A few weeks into the course I realized the value of doing that, so I went back and editied all my earlier posts. That is when I realized how easy it is to go back and edit/add/add links to earlier posts.

That is also the power of taking a course on web 2.0 by creating and regularly posting on your own blog -- you learn as you go. By now, you know so many more tricks and features than you did only a few weeks ago. It is a practical and powerful way to learn and become comfortable with web 2.0 tools.

The TaijiStoryteller said...

Hi,
I love your book spine. How did you do it? I also like the stamp and wonder which toy you used. I enjoyed flickr toys too.

I am a retired school librarian taking the tutorial on my own because I am a lifelong learner, but that means, although my blog is registered, I am not getting any comments and my blog is not listed. So would you take a look at my blog ? I would love - and could use - the feedback. Thanks.