Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Week 4, Thing 8

I watched the tutorials and informational videos about RSS feeds. I set up a Google Reader account, then subscribed to 4 or 5 RSS feeds. I was looking for something more personal and interesting to me than just some news feed. My daughter works for the Young America's Foundation, so I included a feed from one of her co-workers. I am a BIG Romney fan, so he's there, too. I also like to bicycle, and I own a '66 Mustang GT, so I was excited to find some feeds from those types of sites. Once I put all five on the log, it just took up too much space, so I whittled it down to three. What I wanted to do was post to my blog JUST the title of the feed and make it "clickable", but I couldn't figure out how to do it. So I just went in to "edit page element" and made the feed only display one article. That way, there's not a bunch of space being taken up by article titles. Anyway, this was an interesting exercise, but I think I need to explore it more to get the most out of it. Also, I can see how these feeds would help students really pinpoint a particular area of study. I am also seeing that having an active blog can take A LOT of time!

3 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Yes, discovery learning takes time. It is fun to see what others discover, too. Enjoy!

Becca said...

I found the RSS feed section to be frustrating in the same way when I went through the 23 Things. And I could not get my feeds to cooperate in the way I thought they should, to be just clickable from my blog as a feed rather than as an article. However, I have come to find the blogreader to be indispensable as a tool to keep track of other blogs in a learning situation--for example, with Winter Fun 2.0, or my science/library collaboration. I put a link to my bloglines and google readers on my blog to make it easy for myself, but it doesn't help anyone else.

Joan Tracy said...

Your no food in the library really made me laugh.