Sunday, April 20, 2008

Week 5, Things 11 & 12

I toured a few of the sites from the Web 2.0 list and it was lots of fun. I've actually been doing this since I started the "23 Things." I'm a firm believer in not reinventing the wheel. I'm also a firm believer in stealing other people's good ideas! I always give credit, though, (when I remember)...
For example, I found "Library Thing" on another blog, and The Shakespeare Insult Generator I saw on someone else's computer.
Surfing around other people's blogs makes me feel pretty insecure. There is so much out there. I spent some time last week with our district tech teacher and she helped me get set up with Moodle. So now I have a moodle account, and am not entirely sure how to best utilize it for the library. I have user names and passwords for dozens of sites, and even another blog floating around out there in cyberspace (I didn't like the way it was laid out, so I just ignored it. I have no idea how to delete it). My point is, with technology too much of a good thing gets crazy. I need a lot more practice to keep it all sorted out.
This assignment also included learning about Rollyo. I had a hard time trying to decipher exactly what the advantage was of Rollyo. Not many of the other Web 2.0 sites have Rollyo. I guess it might be something I could use for the Renaissance Fair - a custom search engine just for all things Renaissance. But I'm just not sold on Rollyo yet. It seems like technlogy overload.
I know that using these tools (and technology in general) will become more second-nature the more I immerse myself in it - just look at all the kids out there who are so techno-saavy. But they spend HOURS marinating in technology, and I really have no desire to spend that much time staring at a screen.

No comments: