Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Week 9, Thing 22

The Gutenberg Project costs $ to join and download books. It's cheap (only $8.95) but I don't like ebooks, so would never use it, so didn't join. itunes downloadable books are even more expensive. I was REALLY impressed with the LA Public Library's selection and availability of ebooks, but needed a PC to run the software and I'm on my Macbook right now, so no luck there. I'm surprised such a big operation like LAPL doesn't support Macs. The LAPL allows you to burn CDs of their audiobooks, too. Pretty cool. I'm just not a big fan of audiobooks. When I'm in the car or exercising I prefer to listen to music, and if I'm going to read I need the tactile experience of a book. I just like the feel of a book in my hands! But I know that Follett's Playaways are a HUGE success and would like to try them in my library, but don't have the funds right now (they are HORRIFYINGLY expensive). I know the kids are comfortable being "plugged in" and that may be the way to get the reluctant readers engaged.

2 comments:

Becca said...

Playaways are very successful here at the middle school level, and the hs just started a collection. Seems like all folks who get them enjoy them.

Libladylib said...

For fun, check to see if your local public city or county library has a suvbscription to CALIFA. You can check out the digital audio books for a period of 3 weeks.