Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Week 6, Thing #15

Web 2.0 Future of Libraries: I have a few thoughts that have no real connection, but here goes:
As a librarian, I always feel pulled in two different directions. One points toward the technology aspect of a library, and the other toward the love of reading aspect. Sometimes I think they are two things fighting against each other. Studies show that kids who spend lots of time in front of screens (be they computer or television) read less for pleasure. Yet as a librarian, I'm expected to provide lots of screens and unrestricted (at least time-wise) access to them. I'm also expected to instill in my students a love of that most un-technological of diversions - reading books.
I've discovered that my students are what I call "keystroke smart" - they can download videos and music, navigate the web, email, create with Photoshop, muck around with the settings on my computers, etc. The problem is that they have no critical thinking skills! So when these computer whiz kids have to do research, their brains can't formulate the proper questions to ask the computer in order for them to they get what they need. So we had a teacher who asked them, "Tell me what you might find in Betsey Ross' basement." So what do they do? They go to google and type in "What would I find in Betsey Ross' basement?" And they actually think they will get an itemized list! I've been saying for a long time, "They have the computer skills - We need to teach research skills!!"
I read several of the articles listed for this "Thing," and found them most interesting. They challenged my current mindset. Rick Anderson stated, "We need to focus our efforts not on teaching research skills but on eliminating the barriers that exist between patrons and the information they need, so they can spend as little time as possible wrestling with lousy search interfaces and as much time as possible actually reading and learning." But in my experience, the biggest barrier between a middle schooler and information is his BRAIN! The best search engine in the world isn't going to answer that ridiculous question about Betsey Ross!
I did agree with John Reimer, though, when he stated that libraries should be more open to including patron reviews, tags, and other user participation, in the services libraries make available. My motto is, "You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too many subject headings!"

No comments: