Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Week 6, Thing 14

OK - I need to vent here. I like learning about all the social networking 2.0 stuff, I really do. But I think it's terribly narcissistic. All this very slick computer stuff is just a way for incredibly ordinary people to puff themselves up and feel self-important. Why do all these people think what they say or feel is worth publishing to the world?? I have been writing in a journal since I was eleven, and I would NEVER think of making it public. I can see the lure of facebook, myspace, blogs, etc. for teenagers because teenagers think they are so very fabulous and the earth, stars, and sun revolve around them!
So, this assignment was about exploring Technorati. I did, and all the while was thinking, "Why would I -or anyone else, for that matter - care how I rate on Technorati? Why do I need to have my blog accessible to SO MANY people? Is anything I say on my blog THAT important? Do I really need yet ANOTHER username and password?? Who ARE all these people, why do they feel the need to spill their guts on the internet, and do I have NOTHING better to do than read their ramblings???" So although I understood the purpose of Technorati, I think Delicious suits my needs for now, and I declined to subscribe to Technorati at this time. If some poor librarian in Pigsknuckle, Arkansas can't get to my blog, oh well!
My daughters - 24, 21, and 17 - use facebook, etc. to keep up with friends. They'd rather sit silently in front of a screen and read their friends' postings than pick up a phone and have an intimate, two-way conversation! Some of these people they never actually speak with. Do they feel a close bond with someone they only read about, never talk to??? How can you? And if spending that much time reading a blog doesn't bring you closer, why in the world do it? One of my girls told me today that one of MY friends (I'm 44) has a facebook page, and my first thought was "Grow up! Why does she think anyone CARES?" I mean, of course I care about her as a person, but I care enough to learn about her and become close to her by spending time with her, conversing, getting to know her family, etc. not reading about her online as if she was Paris Hilton or something. I guess I just would never presume that my life is important or interesting enough that I would expect others to spend their precious time on earth reading about my fabulosity (yes, I made up that word, but it fits).
Of course, the ironic thing about this is that I am expecting you, dear cheerleader, to spend YOUR precious time reading MY screed! So enough, already! On to "Thing 15"! (But I very much would like to hear your opinions on these topics)

2 comments:

Jackie S, 2.0 project manager said...

Yes, there are lots of bloggers out there saying nothing, but there are also many who have something to say or share.

This course, for example, is a great example of something to share not just with members of CSLA, but librarians, teachers, and friends around the world. AND, it has cost CSLA no money to promote it. Check out our cluster map and see that thousands of visitors have checked us out. Check out our "2.0 Partner" page and see that a number of groups have officially asked to offer the course -- and a good number more are in the process of offering either SLL2.0 or CL2.0. As a result, CSLA gets recognition and even won recognition by the California Library Association (CLA).

As to Technorati, we don't really care so much about CSLA's rating but it is interesting to check it every so often. The ISTE/NECC presenters probably check their Technorati ratings much more frequently! Best wishes.

Ms.Jackson said...

Hello Ms. B..I never thought about this whole process as being a bit narcissistic but I am seeing it from others perceptions and it helps me in developing an argument for those who oppose web 2.0. I am glad that you are so candid with your opinions. I am learning that unlike me; everyone is not so comfortable with the web and by discussing these issues we are better equipped to collaborate and meet the needs of our students.