Monday, April 21, 2008

Week 6, Thing #13

I spent the whole day today in training for our new library software - Alexandria. I can't wait to actually use it in the library! (Winnebago is so outdated) I am in a small district and it's been fun working with the other 5 librarians researching library automation software and choosing what's right for us. It's been about a year-and-a-half since we started the search, and we are all excited to get up and running on Alexandria.
Thanks, Becca, for replying to my email! OK - here we go:
Del.icio.us - I watched the tutorial linked in the "23 Things" list. It was helpful, but not nearly as interesting as another one I found on Youtube. It is the "In Plain English" videos by CommonCraft.com (http://commoncraft.com/show). This really made social bookmarking understandable for me (probably because they are written on about a third-grade level!).
I surfed around Delicious, and found it overwhelming. SO MUCH STUFF! But I set up an account in hopes of creating a cool link list.
I Clicked on many of the Delicious links and have spent about 2 hours boppin' around. One click takes you to another, which takes you to another and before you know it you're about 20 pages from where you started! I really just looked at the ones that had the most visitors. Figured that anything that had 437 people save it has got to be worth a look. I can see how this would be useful to students doing research, or even just looking for something fun. I looked at some of the other CSLA members' sites and found some of their delicious links useful - so I stole them and put them on my Delicious site! I guess theft is the "social" part of "social bookmarking"!
Just realized that I haven't posted my Delicious link to the blog - I'll try to figure that out!

No comments: